Improving the psychological climate can have a beneficial effect on job satisfaction, work outcomes, stress, absenteeism, commitment, participation, sick leave, and creativity.
So what can a manager do?
- Trust people to make and take work-related decisions.
- Do not micro-manage.
- Allow people to plan and prioritise their own work.
- Let people decide how best to do their job.
- Develop a willingness to work together.
- Foster loyalty between team members.
- Create a sense of unity.
- Encourage commitment to goals and achieving them.
- Build trust.
- Offer support through meetings and non-work-focused discussion.
- Give specific, consistent, and fair recognition where deserved.
- Be fair and sensitive to others.
- Support innovation and creativity.
- Support new ideas.
- Encourage debate and discussion of ideas.
- Build cross-functional cooperation and support.