Eight tips for effective management from Peter Drucker (2004).
- Ask what needs to be done
- Ask what is right for the enterprise
- Develop action plans
- Take responsibility for decisions
- Take responsibility for communicating
- Focus on opportunities
- Run productive meetings
- Think and say ‘we’ rather than ‘I’
While a lot of these are common sense, one of them that may not be is the need to ask what is right for the enterprise.
As a practicing manager myself, I always try to consider context-sensitivity before I try to introduce new processes. They may not be the right ones for the circumstances.